Once you have selected your style of garage door, the next step is to choose how you’re going to open and close it. You have the option to either open and close your garage door manually or have it opened and closed for you by an automatic garage door opener. Automatic openers are more widely used due to the convenience and safety they provide. When choosing the right opener for your home, you will want to consider three things, the style or type of opener, the safety features, and the manufacturer.
There are three types of garage door openers to consider.
- The most elite option is the Belt-Driven Garage Door Opener, which is the smoothest, quietest, and most reliable system you can buy. The belt drive is the ideal choice if you have a room positioned above or adjacent to your garage. It provides extremely quiet operation and less vibration than the other options. It also has the most comprehensive warranty package. The belt drive carries a lifetime warranty on the belt itself against breakage and fraying in addition to the lifetime motor warranty.
- Next is the Chain-Driven Garage Door Opener. This is the most common operator and is used by most homeowners. It is not as quiet as the belt drive, but it is designed for standard everyday use. If noise level is not a factor for you, this unit is your best bet. The chain drive is very reliable and delivers long term lasting performance.
- Lastly, the Screw-Driven Garage Door Opener is the strongest and fastest style of opener. It is ideal for locations with extreme climates, as it is designed to run smoothly and quietly in the coldest and hottest temperatures. It creates less noise than the chain driven garage door opener and it needs the least amount of maintenance, as it has a self lubrication rail.
You want to make sure that your new operator comes equipped with infrared safety beams. These beams alert the unit to any object that may be blocking the door from closing properly. Two of the top brands, Chamberlain and LiftMaster, also offer these additional safety features respectively.
- Security+ 2.0 helps to secure your system from intruders. Each time you press your remote button, a new code is sent through the unit so that the door only opens for you.
- In addition, the newest available technology, MY Q, allows you to operate your system with your cell phone. You can check to see if your garage is open from anywhere in the world just by looking at an app on your cell phone. This is a great feature for families with several people using the system daily.
Your garage door opener is one item you will want to purchase from a top brand. We recommend and sell LiftMaster Garage Door Openers. LiftMaster has been in business for over forty years, has long since established itself as a leading, reputable manufacturer when it comes to performance and reliability, and provide more options and accessories than anyone else. Look for our upcoming articles on LiftMaster products and features.
This should give you a good starting point for determining the best garage door opener for your home, and if you ever need any help, please give us a call.
Need any help programming your garage door opener? Check out our article on “Programming Your Automatic Garage Door Opener” for helpful tips and information.